With the "2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development", the member states of the United Nations have committed themselves to working towards the implementation of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by the year 2030. The Geological Surveyof Austria is making a significant contribution to this.
National and international activities of the Geological Survey of Austria are dedicated to supporting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations (UN). The methodological knowledge and competence created is already being successfully applied to achieve the SDGs in Austria as well as in supporting other countries in achieving these goals. Thematically, this includes measures for sustainable management of resources, risk prevention against natural hazards as well as capacity building.
The Geological Survey of Austria contributes with its expertise in ongoing projects to the following goals:
- SDG 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- SDG 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- SDG 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- SDG 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- SDG 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- SDG 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- SDG 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- SDG 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- SDG 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- SDG 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- SDG 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- SDG 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- SDG 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development