History of the Geological Survey

1849

Foundation of the „k.k. Geologische Reichsanstalt“ by Emperor Franz Joseph on 15th of November.

Wilhelm HAIDINGER becomes first director.


1852

Removal to Rasumofsky Palace (Rasumofskygasse 23).


1866

Franz von HAUER becomes second director.


1870

Rasumofsky Palace was aquired by the state.


1885

Dionys STUR becomes third director.


1891

The first pressed Geological Specialmap 1:75,000 (sheet Olmütz) is published.


1893

Guido STACHE becomes fourth director.


1901

Emil TIETZE becomes director.


1903

The 9th International Geological Congress (IGC) is held in Vienna.


1919

After the end of the Habsburg monarchy, the Survey is called: „Geologische Staatsanstalt“.


1920

Georg GEYER becomes director.


1922

The „Geologische Staatsanstalt“ is from now on the: „Geologische Bundesanstalt“.


1923

Wilhelm HAMMER becomes director.


1933

Hermann VETTERS edits the „Geologische Karte der Republik Österreich 1:500.000“.


1935

Otto AMPFERER becomes director.


1937

Gustav GÖTZINGER becomes director.

Heinrich BECK becomes „kommissarischer Leiter“ of the Survey.


1938/1939

The new name is: „Geologische Landesanstalt für Österreich“


1939

The Survey becomes as „Zweigstelle Wien“ part of the „Reichsstelle (later „Reichsamt“) für Bodenforschung“ in Berlin (Germany).


1941

Franz LOTZE becomes head resp. director.


1945

Gustav GÖTZINGER becomes director again.

Start of reconstruction of the building.


1950

Heinrich KÜPPER becomes director.

100th anniversary


1955

Reconstruction of Rasumofsky Place is finished.


1961

Geological map of Austria 1:1,000.000 (by Peter BECK-MANNAGETTA) is published.


1964/1970

Several UNESCO-Post-Graduate-Courses at the Geological Survey.


1970

Anton W. RUTTNER becomes director.


1973

Start of IT at the Geological Survey.


1974

Felix RONNER becomes director.


1978

Reorganisation of the Geological Survey.


1980

The Geological Survey publishes „Der Geologische Aufbau Österreichs“ (ed. by Rudolf OBERHAUSER).


1983

Traugott E. GATTINGER becomes director.


1986

A new periodical, „Berichte der Geologischen Bundesanstalt“, starts.


1987

The „Geochemical Atlas from 1:1,000,000“ is published.


1989

Start to complete IT-Services at the Geological Survey.


1993

Hans Peter SCHÖNLAUB becomes director


1997

The „Metallogenetic Map of Austria 1:500,000“ is published.


1999

150th anniversary of the Geological Survey.

„Rocky Austria“ is published.

 


2005

Removal into the new building at Neulinggasse 38.


2007-2009

„International Year of the Planeth Earth“ (IYPE)


2009

Peter SEIFERT becomes director.